Occupational Pay Scale 2023 Occupational Pay Scale Calculator
Occupational Pay Scale 2023 Occupational Pay Scale Calculator, If you work for the federal government. The pay scale and your qualifications decide your salary. Pay tables are maintained by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM). And other federal regulations and procedures that apply to General Schedule personnel. This includes the pay structure and leaves policies.
In 2023, GS employees received an across-the-board base pay raise of 2.2% and a locality pay adjustment of 0.5%.
General Schedule employees earn a 4.1% across-the-board federal pay raise for 2023. And they also receive an average locality pay boost of 0.5%. These two increases create an overall 4.6% increase for civilian federal workers in 2023. According to President Biden’s August 31 executive order.
GS pay is set at 10 steps in each grade, and new employees are hired at step 1. Employees may advance to higher steps throughout their federal careers. As they progress through the general schedule.
In addition to the standard GS pay scale. There are some positions on the general schedule. They receive special rates as compensation. These are typically those that address particularly acute staffing challenges.
The Office of Personnel Management conducts an annual evaluation of GS personnel’s special pay rates. This enables agencies to recommend positions for pay at a rate other than the conventional GS pay scale. Historically, these extraordinary pay rates have been established. To alleviate staffing shortages. This has an impact on an agency’s recruitment and retention efforts.
Federal employees who work in multiple cities or states receive a pay raise every year that’s based on their location. Currently, there are 53 distinct locality pay areas. There is also a “Rest of the United States” group that covers GS employees who don’t live in any of these areas.
In 2023, federal workers will receive a 4.1% average base pay increase on top of an average 0.5% locality pay increase. But the locality portion of that percentage varies by employee.
This is because the government has 54 different locality pay areas. Each with its own independently calculated percentage-based pay raise for civilian federal employees. That means that some feds will see a higher or lower percentage than the 4.1% average. That everyone gets in 2023, but it also makes it more complicated to calculate.
The President’s Pay Agent approved four new locality pay areas. And expanded the Richmond, Virginia; Boston; Detroit, and Seattle locality pay areas last week. However, those changes won’t be implemented until 2024 at the earliest.
Special Pay Rates
To address current issues in recruiting or retaining well-qualified personnel. The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) can create higher rates of basic pay — special pay rates. For particular groups or categories of General Schedule (GS) positions in one or more geographic areas. Such special rates can be determined by adding a special rate supplement to the underlying GS base rate. Such as a fixed-dollar or fixed-percentage sum.
In general, OPM and agencies examine special pay rate increases on a regular basis. If they should be raised, decreased, or eliminated. OPM must approve a request for a special rate adjustment over the signature of the Director of Human Resources Management. They must be able to provide recruitment and retention figures to back up the request. Pay information for comparable non-Federal jobs. Details on how the staffing situation affects agency operations. Including training and job engineering descriptions. Alternatively, different flexibilities were attempted to ameliorate the staffing issue.
Work with organizations as occupational experts. Often known as occupational health technicians or safety technicians. They must manage and maintain a variety of workplaces and working environments. These occupations frequently require substantial travel and fieldwork. They are usually full-time employees. A bachelor’s degree in occupational health. Or a comparable scientific or technical discipline is also required.
There are a variety of ways to boost your income as an occupational specialist. Including changing employers or leveling up your education and experience. Additionally, some occupational specialist careers pay higher than others.
For example, skilled nursing facilities and home health occupational therapists (HHOT). Generally pay more than schools or hospitals. These settings also have a higher demand for OTs, and they are more likely to offer promotions or raises.
Occupational specialists have the highest average salary of all GS-11 positions, with a 2023 OPM pay scale of $72,555. This is an impressive statistic, but there are a few things to keep in mind.